This is very exciting! Last Easter I made homemade chocolate eggs and bunnies. I added chocolate crisp cereal to it to make them crunchy. But, this year I decided to branch out and try peeps. You know, the crazy, bright colored marshmallow things?!
The ingredients for traditional peeps goes something like this: Sugar, corn syrup, gelatin, preservatives, yellow dye and carnauba wax eyes. Also, now there are bright pink ones and who knows what else!
Here is a basic marshallow recipe - no corn syrup involved!
Homemade Marshmallow Peeps
2 tablespoons boxed unflavored gelatin (2 packets)
8 tablespoons cold water
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup cold water
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2. In a small bowl, soak gelatin and 8 tablespoons of cold water. Set aside.
3. Combine granulated sugar and 1/2 cup of water in a large heavy saucepan.
4. Cook and stir over medium heat until dissolved. Add gelatin and bring to a boil.
5. Remove from heat. Pour into a large bowl and let stand until partially cool.
6. Add salt and vanilla extract. Beat with an electric mixer until soft and double in volume. You have to beat it for quite a few minutes and this is where a stand mixer really comes in handy. Set it on high and let it go for 5 minutes or maybe more...until it's white and double in volume.
7. Pour marshmallow creme into molds. Actually, it's more like scooping it with a big spoon carefully into each mold.