Monday, August 16, 2010

Mango Chicken Curry and Robin's Vegetarian Curry

I love Indian Food! I often make Mango Chicken Curry at home and serve it with a bunch of sauteed vegetables on the side instead of rice to make it low carb. My friend, Robin, made this delicious vegetarian curry which she brought to our family group potluck yesterday. I loved it too. So, this is a homemade indian food post with both recipes! Here is a link to Robin's Vegetarian Curry: http://giddyrobin.blogspot.com/2010/08/vegetarian-curry.html

Here is my mango, chicken curry recipe. You can easily sub in pineapples for the mangos. I find it easier to use the pre-cut frozen mangos and don't think they're more expensive than buying a fresh mango. Mangos are not my favorite fruit to peel and chop. I get a frozen bag of them at Trader Joes.

Mango Chicken Curry
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced thin
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into thin strips
1 Tbsp curry powder
2 tsp minced fresh gingerroot
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (if you like the heat - I usually just add it to my plate)
1 cup chopped, peeled mango
3/4 cup coconut milk
2 Tbsp tomato paste

Saute onion and pepper in vegetable oil until tender. Add chicken, spices & salt and saute until chicken is cooked through. Add coconut milk and tomato paste and stir until combined. Let this come to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for a few minutes or however long you need for your rice to be ready! At the very end add your mango or pineapple chunks and serve with rice or veggies.

Hints:
*One can of coconut milk is about 1.5 cups, so I double the recipe except for the chicken and add some veggies to fill it out, or just have extra sauce for your rice to soak up (also a great option!). I've added squash, tomatoes, mushrooms, more peppers.
*A tip about tomato paste is that it's really nice if you can get the paste in a tube instead in a can. That way you can use just 2-4 Tbsp and put the cap on and store it in the fridge.

1 comment: