Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Homemade Beef Jerky from Deliciously Organic

As I mentioned in the last post, I made donuts with the boys yesterday. I had also been planning to make beef jerky. They have recently discovered they love beef jerky. I will sometimes buy them Wellshire Farms Turkey Jerky sticks, but they are way too expensive! When I saw this recipe from Carrie Vitt at Deliciously Organic I knew I had to try it.

So, while the yeast dough for the donuts was rising yesterday I sliced the beef & the boys made the marinade. I marinated it overnight and cooked it first thing this morning. It has to marinate for 6-8 hours and cook at 200 degrees for 4 hours, so plan accordingly. But, it is a really affordable alternative to buying natural jerky and will be a good, high-protien snack for the kids to take to school. My boys do much better staying on task at school when they have a steady stream of protien throughout the day.

Here is a picture of our jerky cooking in the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment